Cordless Drill for Woodworking
- 1 So You Need a Cordless Drill for Woodworking!
- 2 The Criteria
- 2.1 Bosch PS31-2A 12-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 3/8-Inch 2-Speed Drill/Driver
- 2.2 Festool 564366 C12 12V Lithium-Ion 1.5AH Cordless Drill Set
- 2.3 Makita XPH012 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 1/2 Hammer Drill/Driver
- 2.4 Porter-Cable PCC606LA 20-Volt 1/2 Inch Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver Kit
- 2.5 Milwaukee 2407-20 M12 3/8 In. Drill/Driver Kit
- 2.6 Related
So You Need a Cordless Drill for Woodworking!
Maybe you’re a weekend woodworker who spends his/her time away from the stuffy confines of the modern office building in the garage, turning discarded pieces of barn wood into chic farmhouse benches that’ll impress Pinterest followers. Maybe you’re a homegrown handyman willing tackle any home improvement project with enough zeal to embarrass Bob Villa. Whichever category you fall into, the chances are that you understand the importance of having a quality cordless drill for woodworking projects. This buying guide was assembled to help you find the perfect cordless drill for woodworking.
Any cordless drill worth its salt has to possess four essential features:
1. It has to have sufficient Speed/Power to get the job done.
2. A drill that doesn’t have a Reversible Motor is only half a drill, and no one wants half a drill.
3. If you’ve ever tried to start a screw at full speed, you understand the importance of Dual-Speed Motor.
4. An Adjustable Clutch is a must when switching from drilling to screwing.
Some bonus features that can take a functioning drill and move it into the great category are:
● The latest in lithium-ion battery technology and reduced charging cycles.
● Comfortable grip, balance, and ergonomic design that make holding the drill for hours a pleasure rather than a chore.
● Less weight enables the drill to be used overhead, or with arms extended, with reduced fatigue.
● The most convenient chuck is the keyless chuck. Beyond that, it is important to note whether the drill has a 3/8″ or 1/2″ chuck, so that you will know if it is compatible with your bits.
● Impact/hammer drill capabilities, though not required on a cordless drill for woodworking, make the tool more versatile.
Now that the selection criteria have been established let’s meet five contenders for the title of best cordless drill for woodworking.
Bosch PS31-2A 12-Volt Max Lithium-Ion 3/8-Inch 2-Speed Drill/Driver
● 12 Volts of Lithium Ion Power
● 3/8″ Chuck
● Dual speed motor offers 0-350 RPMS or 0-1,300 RPMS
● Weighs only 5lbs
● 20+1 Clutch
● Short, rubberized grip handle
Festool 564366 C12 12V Lithium-Ion 1.5AH Cordless Drill Set
● 12-Volt, 1.5ah
● Keyless 1/16″ – 1/2″ Chuck
● Dual Speed Motor capable of 0-450 RPMS or 0-1,500 RPMS
● 11.2 pounds
● Capable of Right Angle Drilling
● Comfort Grip and Unique Design
Makita XPH012 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 1/2 Hammer Drill/Driver
● 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Battery
● Keyless 1/2″ Chuck
● Offers 480 in.lbs of torque and 0-400 or 0-1,500 RPMS
● Lightweight 4lbs
● Can switch between standard drilling and hammer drilling
● Ergonomic, rubberized grip
Porter-Cable PCC606LA 20-Volt 1/2 Inch Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver Kit
● 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Battery
● Keyless 1/2″ All-Metal Chuck
● Produces 330 UWO, 0-400/0-1,600 RPMS)
● 4.3 pounds
● Powerful enough to be a cordless drill for woodworking or metal working
● Features stylish, rubberized grip for fatigue reduction
Milwaukee 2407-20 M12 3/8 In. Drill/Driver Kit
● 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Battery
● Keyless, Metal Ratcheting 3/8″ Chuck
● 275 in.lbs of torque and 0-400/0-1,500 RPMS
● Adjustable Clutch
● Unique, ergonomically designed handle